well as operating FPI Online, FMtools is a multi-faceted consulting
firm. Our professional staff is actively engaged in all aspects of
real estate and facilities planning, development and portfolio management.
For a thorough assessment of your requirements, please contact us
for an initial consultation.
An FPI analysis is one of the most powerful methods available
for rating building serviceability using occupant requirements.
FMtools will work with your staff to develop a User Requirement
Profile that is specific to your organization and can be used to
rate any number of buildings based on your performance criteria.
The resulting reports will clearly show where there are shortfalls
or surpluses in building capability and lead to more informed facility
When the corporate real estate department makes the decision to
use FPI, it can operate at various levels of involvement
- from outsourcing the evaluation services to operating in a self-sufficient
capacity. FMtools consulting group will help determine the most
appropriate implementation and train the internal staff accordingly.
Deficiency Analysis and Cost Estimation
An FPI analysis will provide a detailed breakdown of deficiencies
and surpluses for each building reviewed but it will not tell you
what needs to be done, or the costs involved, to bring the building
up to the level required by the occupants.
A Deficiency Analysis will suggest improvements within each scale for resolving deficiencies along with estimated costs to cure. This information becomes one of the key components in an overall facility evaluation where the costs of upgrades to current facilities and the lease/purchase of a new
location are compared.
Building Condition Assessment and Cost Estimation
Using the FMtools methodology, a condition assessment of all architectural, civil/structural, mechanical and electrical components is done on all critical buildings in a real estate portfolio. This assessment, along with a cost estimation of corrections, provides management with the means to identify
deficiencies and plan/budget for their correction. During this analysis, an effort is made to distinguish between maintenance and repair deficiencies which can be used to identify facility improvement opportunities for strategic, long term capital planning. Building Condition Scales are utilized
in this study which make use of a similar methodology as Serviceability.
Strategic Portfolio and Capital Planning
Using optimization processes, this analysis identifies the most
cost-effective occupancy strategies when an organization is undergoing
a major change, such as a merger, major expansion, restructuring
or cost-cutting initiative. The methodology utilized to perform
the optimization includes a wide range of factors including:
- Business group requirements (number and types of workspaces, IT and telecom infrastructure, security, facility and adjacency preferences);
- Facility resources (costs, size, configuration, conditions and infrastructure of existing facilities and possible new acquisitions, future market trends, disposition costs and benefits);
- Labor resources (wage rates and trends, employee locations, moving, hiring, training and severance costs);
- Costs of change (reconfiguration, construction, IT and telecom infrastructure costs, swing space and timing requirements);
- Alternative evaluation criteria (cash flow, GAAP, EVA, limits on capital investment and number of moves and disaster recovery implications).
Occupancy Cost Analysis
Occupancy costs are expenses which are related to the procurement, leasing, constructing/renovating, operating and disposition of real estate. In order to manage occupancy costs associated with a portfolio of buildings, it is necessary to classify these costs (utilizing the National Accounting
Association Workpoint system), measure their impact, determine what is driving these costs and finally, to develop a roadmap for reduction. The analysis for occupancy cost reduction produces an:
- Occupancy cost history (comparing the growth rate of occupancy costs with other factors, such as revenue, income, staffing and other operating expenses);
- Occupancy loss analysis (a cost-to-revenue ratio review);
- Building component cost analysis (investment review in capital renewal);
- Lease analysis profile (current and future portfolio commitments).
Real Estate/Facility Management Organization and Business Process Improvement Study
The entire existing real estate and facility management organization and business processes are analyzed in this study. New streamlined work flows are designed to integrate FM and RE, incorporate best practices and increase effectiveness and efficiencies while reducing cycle time. Included in this
analysis are recommendations for implementation of state-of-the-art web-based tools with a road map to define integration to enterprise-wide systems.
Business Process Outsourcing for Facility Management and Real Estate
Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) is a tool for many companies around the globe to realize greater value from their 'core' competencies and achieve significant cost savings. Gartner Research estimates that this market is growing between 14 to 16 per cent a year. This study focuses on BPO for the
built environment and includes:
- Definition of the linkage between shareholder (stakeholder) value and BPO for your organization
- Improved service quality and cost reduction strategies
- Baseline data identification for service level agreement metrics
- Determination of key processes to outsource
- Identification of best practices and technology tools
- Communication and organization strategies
- Identification of potential BPO partners
- Definition of the BPO RFP
FM/CRE Technology Analysis and Implementation Services
Facilities Management and Corporate Real Estate (FM/CRE) management and staff are increasingly reliant on technology-based systems to make informed business decisions quickly. Research, specifications, product analysis, system design, selection, pilot programs, roll-out, training, policy and procedural
manual documentation are just a few of the tasks and phases required to create a system that meets the needs of the users. The system should be easy to use, particularly by non-technical users and provide a reasonable return on investment and a substantial number of benefits to FM/CRE as well as
other areas of the organization. Because many of these requirements are unknown to the client, total implementations costs and roll-out times almost always exceed initial expectations and don't always perform as hoped. Working with our strategic partner CAFM Services, FMtools can help your organization
significantly reduce costs, time and ensure your FM/CRE technology system meets and exceeds your requirements. For a detailed list of services please visit CAFM Services website.
Interior Maintenance Assessment
What do you have? What can be saved? What do we need to do to save it and what will need to be replaced?
An Interior Maintenance Assessment is a review of all of your furniture and finishes to determine how to increase the useful life of the materials and improve the overall appearance of a facility.
- Did you know that using poor maintenance methods contributes as much, if not more, to material damage as regular wear-and-tear?
- Do you realize that preventive measures can be implemented now that will save you thousands of dollars in repair and replacement costs?
Lower Maintenance Costs + Extended Use = Cost SAVINGS for your facility!
Pre-Construction Maintenance Review
This service provides the review of drawings and specifications for a project. It occurs prior to build-out and incorporates preventive maintenance measures at a time in the project life-cycle when implementation is the least expensive.
Doesn't it make more sense to take care of maintenance issues now rather than waiting for the damage to appear?
A report includes:
- Observations and recommendations to reduce maintenance, repair and replacement costs.
- Cost implementation Comparison: Cost to implement now vs. in the future.
- Projected maintenance budget. This budget includes frequency and cost of service.
- Maintenance and warranty information from manufacturers.
We would be pleased to discuss how FMtools can help you with these services. Contact us now.